Sunday, April 6, 2008

Do You Remember ? - 1990 UNLV Basketball



With Memphis making it's great run to the final game, I was thinking about who was the last team who was not from one of the bigger conferences to actually win the National Championship.

Well the the last team to do this was the 1990 UNLV Runnin' Rebels. So I thought I would throw up a video tribute of the that team and start a new segment that will feature a video clip of a team/player from the past. This segment will be called Do You Remember?

This video here might be one that is tough to top because it includes an on court brawl between UNLV and Utah State. I do not remember the brawl but found one write-up about former Utah State player Kendall Youngblood that mentions the brawl and the infamous "water bomb" incident:

Kendall still keeps in touch with some of his former teammates. "Yes, I try and keep in touch with former players: I stay in touch with Jay Goodman, Gary Patterson, and many other players." Speaking of Gary Patterson, you might remember him as the player who was head-butted by UNLV's Jeter in 1990 just before the final buzzer. Gary told Kendall that it was Jeter after it happened. Kendall recalls, "I yelled at him the final seconds of the game. He took a swing at me in front of our bench and the brawl (started) from there. Be assured, I got the best of Jeter after his initial punch. Three months after the brawl I ran into Jeter during the NCAA tourney and he apologized for everything. I think it helped that I had two University of Washington linebackers with me when I saw him. I think Gary got 10 stitches and I received 5 from the bench brawl. Gary and I talk about it once in a while."

The rematch in Logan was played without Jeter and without Scurry, who took a swing at Coach Kohn Smith. Kendall was not impressed with the game, but more with the events at the beginning of the game. "I remember the rematch in Logan. The game wasn't that good (UNLV went on to win the National Championship that year) but the water-bomb was a classic. I remember the team getting sprayed with blue die; I thought it was the most creative thing I have ever seen. I loved it. The famous water-bomb has to go down in history as one of the greatest all-time moments in Utah State Basketball history," he recounted.

Pretty crazy stuff huh? Hard to imagine this actually happening at a game and this was 18 years ago.

Finally, this segment of Do You Remember? concludes with the UNLV players remembering that season themselves.

Note: Sorry for the lame music in the video.

1 comment:

  1. david butler was my shit tell they played temple-jrock philly

    ReplyDelete