Wednesday, June 25, 2008

2008 NBA Mock Draft


I originally wasn't planning on doing a Mock NBA Draft but I figured since I have been following the draft so closely I might as well take a shot at one. Just don't give me any grief if I'm wrong.

For anyone who doesn't know, the Hornets traded pick # 27 to Portland and the Nuggets traded pick # 20 to the Bobcats, which was Denver's only pick in the whole draft. Interesting moves that definitely throw a few wrinkles into the late first round. Also, the Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for T.J Ford trade is complete now, so the Pacers have the #11 and #17 picks.

1.) Chicago Bulls: Derrick Rose PG 6'3" 190 lbs. Memphis Freshman

This looks like a done deal that Derrick Rose will be the # 1 pick, which I suggested way back in March before the NCAA Tournament. Here is what I had to say about Rose then:

On the other hand, I think Derrick Rose is a more athletic version of Deron Williams and I think he will be a big time winner in the NBA. He will join Williams and Chris Paul as the top 3 young point guards in the NBA as they will all lead their teams to multiple playoff appearances. Rose is extremely athletic, can lead a team, and has good lockdown defensive skills. Another comparison I've seen for Rose is Jason Kidd.

2.) Miami Heat: Michael Beasley PF 6'9" 235 lbs. Kansas State Freshman

Since the Miami Heat haven't officially traded this pick yet, I am leaving them here but still making Michael Beasley the # 2 pick in the draft. All indications point to the Heat trading this pick and it is well known they have a huge interest in O.J. Mayo. Minnesota, Seattle, Memphis, and the Clippers are most likely to try and trade up to get Beasley. I mentioned a while back that Pat Riley would love to get his hands on Elton Brand who the Clippers might be offering for the # 2 pick:

However, the Miami Heat do need help down low and you have to wonder what Pat Riley has up his sleeve to fix their low post problems. You know Riley is going to make a move, he really isn't the type to sit put and not try to improve his team. So what do I think Riley will do? Well there's a stud of a PF/C on the Clippers named Elton Brand, who just happened to sign an offer sheet with the Heat a few years back when he was a free agent, before the Clippers eventually matched the offer. He also happens to have a player option for the 2008-2009 season, which means he can opt out of his contract if he wants to try to go somewhere else and win. I don't see any reason for him to stay with the Clippers because they aren't going to win out West anytime soon. He has a chance to leave now and he should and I would not be surprised to see Pat Riley try to get him to come to Miami.

This is probably a long shot to happen because the Heat would have to drop down to 7th in the lottery and they might not get the quality player they want in that spot.

3.) Minnesota Timberwolves: O.J. Mayo PG/SG 6'5" 195 lbs. USC Freshman

I expect Mayo to be the pick here unless the Heat take him and let Beasley fall to # 3. That would be a gift for the Timberwolves.

4.) Seattle Sonics: Brook Lopez C 7'0" 260 lbs. Stanford Sophomore

This pick might surprise some(like me) but the word on the street is that the Sonics are going to take Lopez with this pick. I'm not sure this is a good pick for the Sonics because Lopez has bust written all over him to me but I'm not sure any of the other options here are much better. If I were the Sonics, I would be trading down from this spot and try to pick up an extra pick somewhere.

5.) Memphis Grizzlies: Kevin Love PF/C 6'9" 255 lbs. UCLA Freshman

Memphis has been big on Love from the start and I don't think they really need another guard like Bayless, Gordon, or Westbrook. Memphis is also the team that is most likely to trade up to get the # 2 pick and draft Beasley. If that happens, I think Love could go to the Heat or to the Bobcats.

6.) New York Knicks: Eric Gordon SG 6'3" 215 lbs. Indiana Freshman

I think Gordon is going to be a big time player in the NBA and would not be surprised to see the Knicks take him here. I'm not sure how he will fit in New York right away but I think he will pay off for them in the end.

7.) LA Clippers: Jerryd Bayless PG/SG 6'3" 199 lbs. Arizona Freshman

From what I've read, the Clippers have been trying to trade up to get either Mayo or Bayless, so I have to assume they would take Bayless here if he's still around.

8.) Milwaukee Bucks: Joe Alexander SF/PF 6'8" 230 lbs. West Virginia Junior

Rumor all week has been that the Bucks will take Alexander if he is available when they pick, so this is a no brainer for me.

9.) Charlotte Bobcats: Russell Westbrook PG/SG 6'3" 187 lbs. UCLA Sophomore

Rumor is that the Bobcats like Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, and Westbrook, so since he is the only one left at this point, then I have to assume he will go here. Of course, he could go as high as # 4 to the Sonics which would mean Lopez would probably end up here. Basically. I'm thinking you can probably flip these two picks.

10.) New Jersey Nets: Danilo Gallinari SF 6'9" 209 lbs. Italy

This seems like the logical place for Gallinari to land, since the Nets are one of the few teams he worked out for. Plus, I'm not sure there is anything else here that they would be interested in. Maybe Anthony Randolph but I haven't seem them linked to him. They could also trade down with Portland, then the Blazers would take D.J. Augustin and the Nets would could take Gallanari there instead.

11.) Indiana Pacers: Darrell Arthur PF 6'9"; 215 lbs. Kansas Sophomore

The Pacers have been interested in Augustin since the lottery was announced but all bets are off if they make the rumored trade with Toronto that would send Jermaine O'Neal off to the Raptors for PG T.J. Ford and the 17th pick. If that happens then look for the Pacers to take Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, or Kosta Koufos here. The trade is official now, so I'm going with Arthur here and Augustin goes to Portland instead.

12.) Sacramento Kings: D.J. Augustin PG 5'11" 175 lbs. Texas Sophomore

The Kings could have Augustin fall into their laps but that's only if Portland doesn't trade up with the Nets to grab him. Anthony Randolph is another option here, as well as, Roy Hibbert, Darrell Arthur, and Mario Chalmers.

13.) Portland Trailblazers: Alexis Ajinca C 7'1", 225 lbs. French

Rumor has it that the Blazers were trying to trade up to # 10 to get Augustin ahead of the Pacers but they might have to trade up to get him ahead of the Kings as well. I'm going to say they go with French big man Alexis Ajinca for their Greg Oden insurance.

14.) Golden State Warriors: Kosta Koufos C 7'1" 245 lbs. Ohio State Freshman

I'm placing here simply because of rumors but he could slide further down than this. Other options here are Robin Lopez and Donte Greene.

15.) Phoenix Suns: Brandon Rush SG/SF 6'7" 211 lbs. Kansas Junior

The Suns have been linked to Brandon Rush for some time now and I think he would be the perfect role player for them. If he's still around at # 15 then I don't think the Suns will pass on him.

16.) Philadelphia 76ers: Anthony Randolph SF/PF 6'11" 220 lbs. LSU Freshman

I'm going with Randolph here just because he's the most talented player so he can't slide down too far in the draft. This is supposedly as far as he would drop and the 76ers took a shot with Thaddeus Young last year and that worked out well, so they could hit the jackpot again with Randolph.

17.) Indiana Pacers: Robin Lopez PF/C 7'0" 255 lbs. Stanford Sophomore

The rumor is that the Pacers will look at either Koufos or Lopez with this pick that they acquired from Toronto. I wouldn't rule out Roy Hibbert or Mario Chalmers in this spot either though.

18.) Washington Wizards: JaVale McGee C 7'0"; 237 lbs. Nevada Sophomore

Seems like the Wizards have been looking for a big man every year since they changed their name to the Wizards. Not sure McGee is going to be that guy be he seems confident that he won't last past the 19th pick and the Wizards are supposedly deciding between Darrell Arthur and McGee.

19.) Cleveland Caveliers: Mario Chalmers PG/SG 6'1" 190 lbs. Kansas Junior

The Cavs have been rumored to be looking for a Center or Point Guard with this pick and I'm leaning towards Chalmers at this point. I would like to see the Cavs pick up a good wing who can create his on shot, maybe a Courtney Lee or Chris Douglas-Roberts but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

20.) Charlotte Bobcats: Roy Hibbert C 7'2",272 lbs. Georgetown Senior

Rumor has it that the Bobcats traded into this spot because Larry Brown loves Roy Hibbert. They also have wanted to slide Emeka Okafur over to PF for a while now, so this works out perfectly for them. I'm assuming they traded up here to get ahead of the Utah Jazz, who also like Hibbert.

21.) New Jersey Nets: Marreese Speights PF/C 6'10" 245 lbs. Florida Sophomore

The Nets have been known to roll the dice on suspect character guys like Sean Williams and Marcus Williams, so I don't think they have a problem taking a chance on the talented Speights. Another option here could be Rider's Jason Thompson.

22.) Orlando Magic: Courtney Lee SG/SF 6'5" 200 lbs. Western Kentucky Senior

Orlando has a need for a SG and they have been rumored to be drafting Lee in this spot for a few weeks now, so I will keep him there too.

23.) Utah Jazz: Jason Thompson C 6'11" 250 lbs. Rider Senior

This is another spot where multiple players could be an option at this point. The Jazz like Hibbert but I think the Bobcats traded up so they could grab him. Thompson has impressed in workouts and could be a sleeper at this point for the Jazz.

24.) Seattle Sonics: Nicolas Batum SF 6'8" 214 lbs. France

If Batum doesn't go here, then he's probably going to the Spurs. I'm not sure who else the Sonics are interested in here, so I'm taking a shot and saying they go with Batum since their GM has San Antonio ties and we know the Spurs like foreign players.

25.) Houston Rockets: Donte Greene SF/PF 6'10"; 220 lbs. Syracuse Freshman

Rumor has it that the Rockets are trying to trade up to grab Greene but I'm not sure they will have to trade up to get him. I slotted him here even without a trade because there seems to be better options at every point before this for every team who is supposedly interested in him.

26.) San Antonio Spurs: Ryan Anderson PF 6'10" 240 lbs. California Sophomore

This pick will be between Anderson, Jason Thompson, and Nicolas Batum. Since 2 of those 3 are gone, I'm going with Anderson.

27.) Portland Trailblazers: Chris Douglas-Roberts SG/SF 6'7"; 200 lbs. Memphis Junior

Chris Douglas-Roberts seems like the type of player that would fit perfectly on the Blazers. They could go big here again but I think if Douglas-Roberts is here then they will take him.

28.) Memphis Grizzlies: DeAndre Jordan C 7'0"; 260 lbs. Texas A&M Freshman

Since this is the Grizzlies second pick of the first round, they can take a chance on Jordan, who looks like he is slipping big time. I'm actually skeptical that he will fall this far but I didn't really know where else to put him. I expect someone to take a flier on him earlier than this. I've seen Jordan linked to the 76ers in a lot of mock drafts.

29.) Detroit Pistons: Bill Walker SF 6'6" 225 lbs. Kansas State Freshman

The Detroit Pistons have been known to key in on players early on in the draft process, for instance, last season everyone knew they were taking Rodney Stuckey. This year Walker's name seems to pop up the most and he stayed in the draft despite another knee injury, so I'm going to assume the Pistons are sticking with him. Ryan Anderson is an option here too.

30.) Boston Celtics: J.J. Hickson PF 6'9"; 242 lbs. N.C. State Freshman

I think the Celtics will trade this pick so they can save some money and re-sign James Posey and maybe even Eddie House. Hickson is one of the best players left on the board at this point, so I would imagine someone might try to trade up here to grab him. DeVon Hardin could also be a possibly target for a team looking to trade up.

More: NBA Draft

1 comment:

  1. Hi...

    I m new at blogging. I have added to much content on my blog.. still i m not getting enough traffic.
    After reading to some articles I m planning to create BLOG ROLL.
    if you are interested in link exchange, please Give me replay..

    http://apniphoto.blogspot.com/

    Thanx..
    - Max

    ReplyDelete