Thursday, July 10, 2008

Orlando NBA Summer League - Day 4


Day 4 of the Orlando NBA Summer League is final, so here are the boxscores along with a rundown of all the action:

(Links for previous days at the bottom)

Game 1: New Jersey Nets 84 Chicago Bulls 68

Notables:

Derrick Rose, CHI: DNP
Demetris Nichols, CHI: 15 points, 5-14 FG, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 turnovers
Tyrus Thomas, CHI: DNP
Joakim Noah, CHI: 8 points, 2-2 FG, 2 rebounds, 1 steal
Will Daniels, CHI: 0 points, 0-3 FG, 1 block

Chris Douglas-Roberts, NJ: 15 points, 4-11 FG 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
Brook Lopez, NJ: 23 points, 9-15 FG, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block
Ryan Anderson, NJ: 12 points, 3-6 FG, 2-3 3FG, 6 rebounds
Jaycee Carroll, NJ: 13 points, 4-9 FG, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers
Sean Williams, NJ: 8 points, 4-10 FG, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals

Comments: Once again the Nets rookies all put up strong performances. Brook Lopez scored 23 points, so he probably had the most impressive perfromance of all the rookies. Derrick Rose sat out again because of his knee and I would be surprised to see him play again in the summer league. Will Daniels has 2 DNP's and not much playing time, so it looks like it will be unlikely that he makes an NBA roster.

Game 2: Orlando Magic 82 Indiana Pacers 80

Notables:

Courtney Lee, ORL: 18 points, 6-14 FG,, 3-4 3 FG, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers
Brian Roberts, ORL: DNP
Mark Tyndale, ORL: 0 points, 0-0 FG

Stanley Burrell, IND: 0 points, 0-0 FG

Comments: Courtney Lee continues to play well and the Magic should have someone who can be in their rotation right away. How much impact he will have, I'm not sure but I think he will be worthy of the minutes he gets. Not much else going on here, except that it appears that Brian Roberts, Mark Tyndale, and Stanley Burrell will not be making any NBA rosters this season.

Game 3: Miami Heat 101 Oklahoma City 76

Notables:

Michael Beasley, MIA: 19 points, 8-16 FG, 2-4 3FG, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
Kasib Powell, MIA: 10 points, 4-8 FG, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 steal
Josh Duncan, MIA: DNP, Abdominal Strain
Mario Chalmers, MIA: 11 points, 4-5 FG, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
Pat Calathes, MIA: DNP
David Padgett, MIA: 4 points, 1-3 FG, 3 rebounds, 1 assist

Jeff Green, OK: 19 points, 3-10 FG, 13-16 FT, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover
Russell Westbrook, OK: 19 points, 7-12 FG, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
D.J. White, OK: 13 points, 5-10 FG, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks

Comments: Strong games all around from Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers, and Russell Westbrook. Westbrook has been the best of the three so far and I'm looking forward to see what he can bring to the table during the regular season.

Here is some more coverage from Day 3 of the Orlando Summer League:

Michael Beasley: Beasley, who once again struggled with his jump shot Wednesday (5-of-12, 17 points), laughed at the notion that Durant might duck him when the two buddies' teams play Thursday. Already nursing a fractured sternum and a bruised shin, Beasley emerged from the locker room Wednesday wearing an ice pack on his right elbow and looking like a beaten man. "Everybody wants to beat up on a rookie," Beasley joked when asked what he's learned so far. "It's a rough game out there. I think I've gotten more bruises and cuts in the last three games than I have in my whole basketball career." In three games, Beasley has made just 15 of 46 shots (32.6 percent) while averaging 18 points and 8.0 rebounds a game. (ESPN)

Derrick Rose: "I could have played, but they said don't worry about it because it's just the summer," said Rose, who went through stretching exercises before the game in hopes of easing the pain in the knee. "I was mad about not playing, but I knew they weren't going to play me." Rose's introduction to the NBA has been a rough one so far, with 5-of-17 shooting, a so-so assist-to-turnover ratio (11 to 8) and persistent pain in his knee."I've just got to get used to the offense and my new teammates," Rose said. "It's still going to be a great time." (ESPN)

Chris Douglas-Roberts: "A chip on my shoulder is an understatement," huffed Douglas-Roberts, who took advice from Nets star Vince Carter throughout Wednesday's game. "I'm going to have to play like this my whole career. It was sort of a blessing in disguise by me going 40th. I'm seeing a lot of teams this week that passed on me, and I get to slap them in the face a little bit." "I just couldn't understand it," Douglas-Roberts said. "It was a mixture of being disappointed, embarrassed and emotion. It's a good thing because I ended up in a place where I have a great opportunity. I'm glad I got to the Nets, but I'm still not happy that I went 40 regardless of what happens from now on." (ESPN)

Mario Chalmers: The point guard has been so impressive in his first three summer league games that he secured a three-year contract that could be worth as much as $2.3 million. This is how highly the Heat think of Chalmers: His first-year salary is $700,000, roughly $250,000 more than a minimum deal. "I signed my contract, and that gives me a lot of confidence," said Chalmers, who is averaging 17.7 points, 7.0 assists and 2.7 steals in three games. "It's a great feeling to know you have that contract officially with a team." "Draft night is over and done with, and I definitely have that chip on my shoulder," Chalmers said. (ESPN)

Here's some more summer league news and rosters that were just recently announced or that I did not post a link for yet, including some notables players who haven't been named in my previous NBA Summer League posts :

Portland Trailblazers: Summer League Roster Notables: Steven Hill, Arkansas & Aleks Maric, Nebraska

New York Knicks: Summer League Roster

San Antonio Spurs: Summer League Roster

Los Angeles Lakers: Summer League Roster Notables: Davon Jefferson, USC & Lorenzo Mata-Real, UCLA


Orlando NBA Summer League:
Orlando NBA Summer League - Day 1
Orlando NBA Summer League - Day 2
Orlando NBA Summer League - Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment