Monday, April 21, 2008

Hank Steinbrenner Wants Joba Chamberlain To Start


Hank Steinbrenner shot off at the mouth again today because he wants Joba Chamberlain to move to the starting rotation.

Here is the back and forth between Hank and Yankees' GM Brian Cashman:

"I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now," Steinbrenner told The New York Times. "There is no question about it, you don't have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. You just don't do that. You have to be an idiot to do that."


Yankees general manager Brian Cashman apparently disagrees.

"Joba's staying in the bullpen right now," Cashman told Newsday on Monday. "That's where we're at. [Putting him in the rotation is] not something that's going to happen here early on, and [Hank] knows that. We've talked about it. I don't know what set him off."

Personally, since Joba will probably only be able to pitch 150 innings this season, I think Joba should stay as Mariano Rivera's setup man and maybe have a spot start every once in a while. I figure this is what is going to happen whether Hank likes it or not.

The Yankees' starting pitching has been awful so far this season, mostly due to inability of rookies Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy to throw strikes. The starting rotation is 7 and 9 with a 5.33 ERA and 1.52 WHIP. I think a move will be made pretty soon in the Yankees rotation if Hughes and Kennedy don't pick it up soon and start the throw strikes. I'm just not sure what that move would be and what options the Yankees have but I would expect that right now moving Joba to the rotation is not an option.

On the plus side, Ian Kennedy does have an impressive 8.18 strikeouts per 9 innings, so I would expect that if he can get his command back he will be an effective pitcher. It is likely that Kennedy is having mechanical problems of some sort, which we have already seen with Phil Hughes.

No comments:

Post a Comment