Monday, April 21, 2008

NBA Playoffs Rundown


The big game of the day in the NBA Playoffs yesterday was the Philadelphia 76ers come from behind victory over the heavily favored Detroit Pistons. The other three games were pretty much blowouts.

Here is the rundown of the games:

Philadelphia 90 Detroit 86: Just as I predicted in my NBA Playoff Preview , the 76ers were able to steal a game in this series against the Pistons yesterday. The 76ers are just the type of team that will give Detroit problems because they play all out every time they hit the floor. They should be able to steal at least another game in this series and perhaps more if the Pistons let their guard down again. Detroit is going to continue to have this problem because they do not have a go-to crunch time scorer or playmaker who can carry their team like Kobe or Lebron. They are simply a great team composed of a group of very good players and sometimes their lack of a great player makes them vulnerable.

Orlando 114 Toronto 100: This game played out how it should have played out and how this whole series should go: Dwight Howard dominating the paint on both ends. Dwight Howard needs to dominate the paint, if he does this then Toronto has no chance in this series and there is no reason why it shouldn't happen. If Howard doesn't dominate then Orlando is going to struggle and he has nobody to blame but himself. As long as Howard continues to dominate both ends of the floor, then I don't see how Toronto is going to win this series unless the other Orlando players completely go in the tank. Toronto certainly looked like a soft, jump shooting team to me.

LA Lakers 128 Denver 114: The LA Lakers looked impressive at home in this game. The key phrase there is at home. Denver is a horrible road team so I didn't expect them to play well in at least 1 of the 2 games in LA. Many people are saying this series will be a quick one but I'd like to see how Denver plays at home first before I make a judgement on the series. If Denver is able to steal Game 2 of the series then things could get interesting for LA. I still think the Lakers will take this series, I'm just not ready to call it a mismatch that will be over in 4 or 5 games. I think this one goes at least 6.

Boston 104 Atlanta 81: I think we are all expecting the Celtics to take the brooms out in this one. This team is on a mission and I don't think Atlanta is going to know what hit them after this series. They might steal 1 game at home if they are lucky but that's only if the Celtics have a let down. The Celtics look focused and have several veterans looking for their first title, so I say bring out the brooms.

Check out Leon Powe's dunk from the game last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment