
Wow, I can't believe the Blue Jays have released Frank Thomas.
Even though they had benched Thomas, I did not think they would release him even though he had complained about the benching. I think Frank still has something left in the tank and I'm not sure why Toronto would release him when they are not the greatest offensive team to begin with.
I completely disagree with this decision because like Frank said 60 at-bats is not enough to determine if someone is finished or not, especially someone with the track record of Frank Thomas. Now maybe Frank did something he shouldn't have after he complained about his benching but that doesn't seem to be the case right now and I'm sure there will be a few teams who will be trying to pick up Thomas as a DH.
One possibility is the Tampa Rays who have had a rash of injuries lately and were thinking of going after Barry Bonds to DH so maybe they go the safe route and sign Thomas. I would think maybe the Yankees would be interested and perhaps someone like Seattle or Texas.
As far as Toronto goes, I know that they have a great young hitter in the minors, Travis Snider, but it appears they are going to roll with Adam Lind in LF and DH Matt Stairs and Shannon Stewart:
If the Jays do decide to go without Thomas, to release him, they could bring up Adam Lind to play left field on an everyday basis -- he is better defensively than either Stairs or Stewart -- and have the veterans split the DH duties. At Syracuse, Lind, a left-handed hitter, is hitting .360 with three homers and 13 RBIs (MLBTradeRumors).
Even though they had benched Thomas, I did not think they would release him even though he had complained about the benching. I think Frank still has something left in the tank and I'm not sure why Toronto would release him when they are not the greatest offensive team to begin with.
I completely disagree with this decision because like Frank said 60 at-bats is not enough to determine if someone is finished or not, especially someone with the track record of Frank Thomas. Now maybe Frank did something he shouldn't have after he complained about his benching but that doesn't seem to be the case right now and I'm sure there will be a few teams who will be trying to pick up Thomas as a DH.
One possibility is the Tampa Rays who have had a rash of injuries lately and were thinking of going after Barry Bonds to DH so maybe they go the safe route and sign Thomas. I would think maybe the Yankees would be interested and perhaps someone like Seattle or Texas.
As far as Toronto goes, I know that they have a great young hitter in the minors, Travis Snider, but it appears they are going to roll with Adam Lind in LF and DH Matt Stairs and Shannon Stewart:
If the Jays do decide to go without Thomas, to release him, they could bring up Adam Lind to play left field on an everyday basis -- he is better defensively than either Stairs or Stewart -- and have the veterans split the DH duties. At Syracuse, Lind, a left-handed hitter, is hitting .360 with three homers and 13 RBIs (MLBTradeRumors).
No comments:
Post a Comment